Personal Licences

You will need a Personal Licence if you are planning: 

  • to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol in accordance with a premises licence, or  
  • you want to become a Designated Premises Supervisor on a Premises Licence, or 
  • you need to increase the number of Temporary Event Notices you can apply for.

You can read more about Personal Licences on the GOV.UK personal licences webpages (external link), or by using the relevant document link in the related publications section at the bottom of this page.

Online applications for a Personal Licence 

Unfortunately, it is not currently possible to apply for a Personal Licence online, this is due in part to the fact that some of the required supporting documents must be original and not copies.

Postal application forms

Completed paper forms should be returned with the statutory fee (PDF) to:

The Licensing Department, East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4EE.

If you wish to pay by card, please submit your application and then call 01353 665555 to make payment. Please ensure you advise the staff member that you are paying for a personal licence, and give your full name as your reference.

Before completing your application, your attention is drawn to our privacy and data retention policy

There is no requirement to copy your application to any other responsible authority.

Immigration Act 2016

The Immigration Act 2016 requires any person living in the UK to prove they have a right to work in the UK at the time of applying for a Personal Licence. All applicants are required to provide proof of their right to work as part of the application process. Information on the types of documents that are acceptable can be found on the GOV.UK website (external link). Clear copies of these documents will be sufficient. It is now also possible to use the Home Office online right to work check (external link) service.

Where an applicant has a restricted right to work in the UK, the Personal Licence will expire when the right to work in the UK expires.

Supporting Documents

In addition to proving your right to work, all applications must be supported by:

  • A criminal record search no older than one month when received by the Licensing Authority. It must be the original document. See guidance notes section for more details.
  • An accredited personal licence holder qualification. It must be the original document. See guidance notes section for more details.
  • A Passport style photo endorsed as a true likeness of you by a prescribed person. Ensure this person states their authority to sign for example Solicitor, Teacher, Professional Qualification holder. See guidance notes section for more details. 

Guidance notes

What happens next?

It is in the public interest that East Cambridgeshire District Council must process your application before it can be authorised. If you have not received a response to your application within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online or use the contact details below.

Telephone: 01353 665555

Do I need to renew my personal licence?

The law regarding personal licences was changed in 2015. The result of this change was that all new and existing personal licences no longer need to be renewed. If you hold a personal licence with an expiry date you do not need to worry, as all enforcement agencies are aware of this change, and this expiry date will simply be ignored.

If you preferred to have a personal licence with the expiry date omitted, you can request this from the Council. A fee of £10.50 will be charged, and you must return your old licence with your request.

If I move address or change my name do I need to tell anyone?

If you move address or change your name you must complete the form at the top of this page, pay a fee of £10.50, and return your existing licence. You will always deal with East Cambridgeshire District Council even if you move out of the district.

What should I do if I am charged with a relevant offence under the Licensing Act 2003?

If you are charged with a relevant offence under the Licensing Act 2003 you must notify the Magistrates' Court hearing your case on first appearance that you hold a personal licence. If you are subsequently convicted of the offence you must notify the Licensing Authority giving full details of the conviction.

If the offence occurs during the application period you must notify the Licensing Authority immediately.

The Policing and Crime Act 2017 gives the Licensing Authority the power to suspend a personal licence for up to six months, or revoke the personal licence.

Other redress

Rights of appeal exist for many of the applications and processes covered by the Licensing Act 2003.

More information on this area is contained in the East Cambridgeshire District Council guidance document in the related publications section at the bottom of this page.

Public Registers