Tell HMRC About a Change to your Business

Change of Name or Address 

You must tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if you change your name, business name or your personal or trading address.  

There are different ways of telling HMRC about changes to your personal details (external link) for Income Tax, National Insurance, student loans, tax credits and Child Benefit.  

Make sure you have updated your details for all of the taxes and schemes you’re registered for, including:  

  • Corporation Tax  
  • Self Assessment  
  • PAYE for employers 
  • VAT (you must tell HMRC of changes within 30 days) 
  • the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) 

Tell HMRC about changes to your business (external link), including your correspondence address and payroll details if you’re an employer. You can do this for all services apart from CIS.  

You need to tell Companies House (external link) about changes to your Corporation Tax details before you tell HMRC. 

Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)  

You need to tell HMRC separately about any changes to your business if you’re a contractor (external link) or subcontractor (external link) under CIS. 

Other Ways to Update your Details 

National Insurance Contributions and Employers Office 

HM Revenue and Customs