Holding events on Council Land

East Cambridgeshire District Council owns/manages the following open spaces in Ely: 

  • Ely Park (Cherry Hill) 
  • Jubilee Gardens 
  • Palace Green 

These open spaces can be used for non-profit or fundraising community events. For more details of each site and to see if they would be suitable for your event please visit Parks and Open Spaces for events

Before making an application 

To avoid issues with your application at a later stage, where relevant please contact the following departments before beginning the booking process: 

  • Ely Markets: ECDC are focused on delivering a successful regular market, creating a thriving hub for the community. Any stalls at your event should not detract from what is already on offer at the Market Place. Contact Ely Markets
  • Leisure Services: If your event involves sports or physical activity our Leisure Services department may be able to assist. Please contact our Active Lifestyles Co-ordinator 
  • Safety Advisory Group (SAG): If you are expecting more than 500 visitors at your event or the event presents a significant public safety risk, find out more information on the Safety Advisory Group. Please note this is an advisory group only and any advice given is separate from ECDC permission to use Council Land. 
  • Information on what will not be permitted on Council Land
  • For further information, view our Event Safety Guide


Please read the Conditions of Hire before completing a booking form. 

You are required to submit your application form at least three months before the date of your event. With your application you must include the following documents: 

Please email applications to events@eastcambs.gov.uk and for events requiring SAG notifications please also copy in sag@eastcambs.gov.uk. Once all documents have been submitted, the application will be sent to the relevant departments within East Cambs District Council for a one-month consultation period, after which permission will be confirmed via email. Your event cannot go ahead until you have received written confirmation from the Council.