What to do when someone dies

Check what to do after a death - how to register the death, notify government departments and manage financial issues. 

Step 1:  

Check what to do if: 

To stop or change benefits payments you can tell the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) about the death straight away. 

Step 2:  

Step 3:  

The Tell Us Once service allows you to inform all the relevant government departments when someone dies. 

You will also need to tell banks, utility companies, and landlords or housing associations yourself. 

Step 4:  

You might be eligible for financial help.   

Check if you can get:  


Deal with your own benefits, pension and taxes 

Your tax, benefit claims and pension might change depending on your relationship with the person who died. 

Check if you need to apply to stay in the UK

If your right to live in the UK depends on your relationship with someone who died you might need to apply for a new visa. 

Check the rules if: 

Contact UKVI to check the rules for other visas (external link) 

Step 5: 

You might have to deal with the will, money and property of the person who has died if you are a close friend or relative, or the executor of the will.