Pay your Self Assessment Tax Bill
The deadlines for paying your tax bill are:
- 31 January - for any tax you owe for the previous tax year (known as a balancing payment) and your first payment on account
- 31 July for your second payment on account
If you prefer to pay regularly throughout the year, you can use a budget payment plan.
You can get help if you cannot pay your tax bill on time.
Ways to Pay
Make sure you pay HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) by the deadline. You will be charged interest and may have to pay a penalty if your payment is late.
The time you need to allow depends on how you pay.
You can no longer pay at the Post Office.
Same or Next Day
- online or telephone banking (Faster Payments)
- by debit or corporate credit card online
- at your bank or building society
You need a paying-in slip from HMRC to pay at a bank or building society.
3 Working Days
5 Working Days
Direct Debit (if you have not set one up with HMRC before)
If the deadline falls on a weekend or bank holiday, make sure your payment reaches HMRC on the last working day before (unless you are paying by Faster Payments or by debit or credit card).
Problems with Payment Services
Online payment services may be slow during busy times. Check if there are any current problems or times they are not available.
- Direct Debit
- Bank details for online or telephone banking, CHAPS, Bacs
- By debit or corporate credit card online
- At your bank or building society
- By cheque through the post
- Pay in instalments
- Through your tax code
- Check your payment has been received