Derivative Residence Card

Apply for a derivative residence card

You do not need a derivative residence card if you are living in the UK, but it can:
  • help you re-enter the country quicker when you come back from abroad
  • show employers you are allowed to work in the UK
  • show relevant authorities (for example your local council) that you are allowed to live in the UK
There will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens currently living in the UK until 30 June 2021. You and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK.
You are eligible for a derivative residence card if you are living in the UK and you are one of the following:
  • the primary carer of someone who has the right to live in the UK
  • the primary carer’s child
  • the child of a former worker from the European Economic Area (EEA) and you are at school, college or university in the UK
Being a primary carer means you are someone’s main carer, or you share the responsibility with someone else at least equally, and you are their direct relative or legal guardian.
You cannot apply if you are outside the UK - apply for an EEA family permit instead.


It costs £65 to apply.

How long you can stay

You can continue living in the UK for as long as you are eligible, for example for as long the person you are caring for lives in the UK.

What you cannot do

You cannot count time spent in the UK with a derivative right of residence towards applying for permanent residence in the UK.
Get more information on derivative rights of residence.

See also:

For further information: