You can appeal to the Reserve Forces Appeal Tribunals (RFAT) if:
- you are in the UK reserve forces and your request for exemption from service has been turned down
- you employ a reservist and your request for their exemption from service has been turned down
The tribunal must receive your appeal within 5 days of you getting the decision letter or your application will be rejected.
If you are going to miss the deadline and have a valid reason, say why when you appeal. Extensions are only granted in exceptional circumstances.
The tribunal is independent of government. A judge will listen to both sides of the argument before making a decision.
Help you can get
Contact RFAT or your legal representative if you have any questions about appealing. RFAT cannot give you legal advice.
Reserve Forces Appeal Tribunals
Telephone: 0161 833 6100
You can find legal advice, including from a lawyer.
- Appeal to the tribunal
- After you send your application
- What happens at the hearing
- If you are unhappy with the decision