Financial Help if you are Disabled


There is a wide range of disability-related financial support, including benefits, tax credits, payments, grants and concessions. 
  • Universal Credit 
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Disability Living Allowance (DLA) 
  • Attendance Allowance 
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) 
Depending on your circumstances, you might also be able to get: 
  • Industrial Injuries Benefit if you’re disabled as a result of work 
  • Constant Attendance Allowance if you need daily care and attention because of a disability 
  • the disability element of Working Tax Credit, if you work and are getting PIP or DLA 

Vehicles and transport 

If you’re disabled you can apply for the following: 

Home and housing 

If you’ve been assessed by your local council as needing care and support services, you can get: 
  • Direct payments - allowing you to buy in and arrange help yourself instead of getting it directly from social services 
  • Disabled Facilities Grants - which is money towards the costs of home adaptations to enable you to continue living there 

If you’re on a low income 

If not, check if you’re eligible for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction from your local council. 

Help if you’re employed 

You may be able to top up a low salary by claiming Universal Credit, Income Support or Working Tax Credit
You also might be able to get an Access to Work grant to pay for: 
  • special equipment, adaptations or support worker services to help you do things like answer the phone or go to meetings 
  • help getting to and from work 
  • mental health support 
  • communication support at a job interview (for example, a British Sign Language interpreter or a lipspeaker) 

VAT relief on certain goods and services 

You do not have to pay VAT on certain goods and services if they’re just for your own use and you’re disabled or have a long term illness. 

Armed forces compensation 

You may be able to get compensation if you’ve been injured or disabled while serving in the armed forces. 

See also: 

Further information on Financial help if you are disabled can be found on GOV.UK's website.