Get free support and advice if you have been a victim of crime.
Victim and Witness Information
Use the Victim and Witness Information website to find support in your local area, including:
- emotional support;
- finding somewhere safe to stay;
- finding someone to speak for you and get the help you need;
- specialist support for crimes, including domestic abuse and sexual violence.
Victim Contact Scheme
You will be asked if you want to join the Victim Contact Scheme if both of the following are true:
- you are the victim of a violent or sexual crime;
- the offender is sentenced to 12 months or more.
If you join, you will be given a Victim Liaison Officer who will tell you:
- how long the offender will be in prison for, if there are any changes to their sentence, and when they will be released;
- when an offender is up for parole and how to make a victim statement at the parole hearing;
- how to apply for a ‘licence condition’ - these stop the offender doing certain things when they are released, such as contacting you;
- how to challenge a parole decision if the Parole Board decides the offender is safe to release.
Tell your Victim Liaison Officer whenever you change your contact details, so they can keep you updated.
If you decide not to join or you were not asked, you can still join if you change your mind later by sending an email to the Victim Contact Scheme: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read about your rights after a crime to find out what you are entitled to.
Use the restorative justice scheme
Contact your local victim support organisation, police force, or probation officer if you would like to:
- meet the offender
- talk about how your life has been affected
- get answers to your questions and an apology
Find out more about restorative justice.
If you are contacted by a prisoner
Contact the HM Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS) Victims Helpline if you get unwanted letters, phone calls, texts or messages from a prisoner.
You can also contact the helpline if you are worried about someone being released from prison.
HM Prison and Probation Service Victims Helpline
Telephone: 0300 060 6699
Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm