Claim tax relief for your job expenses

You might be able to claim tax relief if:

  • you use your own money for things that you must buy for your job 
  • you only use these things for your work

You cannot claim tax relief if your employer either gives you:

  • all the money back 
  • an alternative, for example your employer gives you a laptop but you want a different type or model

You must have paid tax in the year. You will get tax relief based on what you have spent and the rate at which you pay tax.


If you spent £60 and pay tax at a rate of 20% in that year, the tax relief you can claim is £12. 

For some claims, you must keep records of what you have spent. You must claim within four years of the end of the tax year that you spent the money. 

If your claim is for the current tax year, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will usually make any adjustments needed through your tax code. 

If your claim is for previous tax years, HMRC will either make adjustments through your tax code or give you a tax refund.