How to claim tax credits

Tax credits have been replaced by Universal Credit for most people. You can only make a new claim for tax credits if you:

  • get the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it
  • got or were entitled to the severe disability premium in the last month, and you are still eligible for it
If you cannot make a new claim for tax credits, you may be able to apply for Universal Credit (or Pension Credit if you and your partner are State Pension age or over).

Start your claim

Call HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to make a new claim.
You will be asked for some information and given an estimate of how much you will get. You may be asked for:
  • your National Insurance number (if you have one)
  • your income for the last tax year
  • details of any benefits you get
  • details of any childcare payments
  • the number of hours you work per week

HM Revenue and Customs

Telephone: 0345 300 3900
Textphone: 0345 300 3909
Outside UK: +44 2890 538 192
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 8am to 4pm
Closed Sunday
You could be fined up to £3,000 if you give wrong information.

Get help with your application

You can get help from HMRC, or your benefits office.
Someone else can call HMRC to get general advice on your behalf, but they will need to apply for authorisation to discuss your claim. If you want them to manage your payments, they will have to become an ‘appointee’.

For further information: