Who can and cannot ask for time off to train
Staff may have the right to ask for time off work for training or study.
To ask for training or study:
- staff must be classed as an employee
- they must have worked for their employer for at least 26 weeks
- training must help staff do their job better
- at least 250 people must work in the organisation
Time off is usually unpaid unless the employer agrees to pay it.
Check someone’s employment status.
Who cannot ask for time off to train
Staff cannot ask for time off for training or study if they are:
- an agency worker
- in the armed forces
- of compulsory school age (‘school age’ in Scotland)
- a young person who has already got the right to take paid time off for study or training
- aged 16 to 18 and already expected to take part in education or training