The District Council is responsible for the elections that are held in its district. These include Parliamentary, County, District, Parish Council, European Parliament and all types of referenda and polls plus the election of the Police and Crime Commissioner and the Combined Authority Mayoral election. Some of these are done in conjunction with other authorities.
It is also responsible for the polling stations used throughout the district on such occasions.
Anyone wishing to vote in elections must first be registered to do so. The District Council tries to ensure the accuracy of the register by conducting an 'annual canvass' where it sends forms out to all the households in the district. This is the start of the process and is followed up where necessary to encourage eligible people to register.
If you are unsure whether you are on the electoral register or not, please contact Customer Services on 01353 665555 and they will be able to check for you.
Registering to Vote
To be eligible to be registered you must meet the following criteria:
- you are 16 or over (but you cannot vote until your 18th birthday) AND
- you are a British, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizen (i.e. you have leave to enter or remain in the UK or don't require leave to enter or to remain in the UK) permanently living in the UK, OR
- other European citizens permanently living in the UK can register to vote at local government elections and Police and Crime Commissioner elections and the Combined Authority Mayoral election but not at UK Parliamentary elections.
For more information visit www.gov.uk/register-to-vote,
Please note: You can only register yourself. Anyone else will have to apply on their own behalf.
How to Register
To register please do one of the following:
- apply online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote, you will need to know your National Insurance number and date of birth to complete this application.
- contact Customer Services on 01353 665555 and they can apply online for you - you will need to know your National Insurance number and date of birth to complete this application.
- contact the Elections office on 01353 665555 to request a form for you to fill in and return.
When registering you have the option of 'opting out' of the open register. This is the version of the register that is open for the public to see and can be sold to anyone.
Only the full register, not the open version is used by credit reference agencies. They can sell the register to other organisations but not the full version.