Tax credits and childcare costs

You can calculate your childcare costs to report to the Tax Credit Office. 

If you already claim tax credits and your childcare costs have changed, you might need to report the change (external link)

Tax credits have been replaced by Universal Credit for most people. Check if you can make a new claim for tax credits (external link)

Before you start 

You must include the childcare costs you pay in total, even if you have more than one child. 

Normally the more childcare costs you pay, the more Child Tax Credit you will get. 

You should not include: 

  • childcare payments from your employer, in money or childcare vouchers 

  • childcare vouchers from your employer in return for a ‘salary sacrifice’ (a reduction in your pay) 

  • childcare payments or grants from a government scheme, for example to help you start work or because you are a student 

  • childcare costs paid by an educational or local authority, for example free early learning or nursery education 

Start now - childcare costs for tax credits (external link)