What you need to do if you are entering or returning to the UK with your pet dog, cat or ferret. There is a different process for other animals (external link).
- Check if you can bring your pet (external link)
- Find out how you are allowed to travel to the UK (external link)
- Check different rules for guide and assistance dogs (external link)
- Get your pet microchipped
- Check the rules for microchips (external link)
- Get your pet vaccinated against rabies
- Check the rules about rabies vaccinations (external link)
You must wait for a set period of time after vaccination before you can travel.
Depending on the country you are travelling from, you might also need to get a blood test.
Get tapeworm treatment
If you have a dog, you will also need to get tapeworm treatment before you travel.
- Get a pet travel document
- Check which travel document you need (external link)