Female genital mutilation - help and advice

Female genital mutilation (FGM), sometimes known as ‘female circumcision’ or ‘female genital cutting’, is illegal in the UK.
It is also illegal to take abroad a British national or permanent resident for FGM, or to help someone to try do this.
You can get up to 14 years in prison for carrying out FGM or helping it to take place.

If there is immediate danger

Contact the police if you or someone you know is in immediate danger of FGM.
You should also contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office if you know a British national who has already been taken abroad.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Telephone: 020 7008 1500
From overseas: +44 (0)20 7008 1500
If you are abroad you can contact the nearest British embassy, commission or consulate.

If you or someone you know is at risk

Contact the NSPCC anonymously if you are worried that a girl or young woman is at risk or is a victim of FGM.
NSPCC FGM Helpline
Telephone: 0800 028 3550
From overseas: +44 (0)800 028 3550

UK organisations

You can get help and advice in the UK from:
In England you can find NHS specialist clinics for FGM.

Local help and advice

You can contact the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Safeguarding Children or Adults Partnership Board.

Further information

You can apply to get a protection order from the court to keep you or someone you know safe from FGM.
For further information: