You can help to strengthen community cohesion by working with others, including people from all backgrounds and circumstances, to develop a local vision and values for your area to challenge and change perceptions.
To help you get started, it may help to ask yourself and others the following questions:
- What does it mean to people to live in this area?
- What are the perceived and actual differences within the community?
- What are people's aspirations for the area?
- What types of interaction and messages do you want to promote in your community?
What is a cohesive community?
A community in which people from different ethnic, cultural and religious backgrounds can live and work together in an atmosphere of mutual respect and understanding.
- Appreciate and value the diversity of people's backgrounds and circumstances;
- Support similar life opportunities for people of all backgrounds;
- Build strong and positive relationships between people from different backgrounds and circumstances.
Why work towards cohesion?
Community cohesion lies at the heart of what makes a safe and strong community. Cohesive communities are better able to tackle common problems, to provide mutual support, work together for a positive future and prevent the spread of extremism.