Postal Vote

Postal Vote Applications 

Applications for postal votes can be made online at

You must provide a photograph or picture of your written signature, to be uploaded, as well as your National Insurance number and date of birth, to apply.  This information will be used to verify you against Government records.  You can apply for a postal vote up to a maximum of 3 years, or for a specific election, or for a specific period.  After the maximum 3 year period, you will need to re-apply providing the same information each time.  Your application will go through a verification process before being accepted.  If the verification process fails you will be contacted to provide additional information.

If you have difficulty providing a signature you can apply for a 'waiver'.  This means you will not need to provide a signature when using your postal vote.  You will need to give a reason why you need a waiver.

If you have any issues applying online, please contact the Electoral Services office, East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4EE, telephone 01353 665555 or email  

Please note:  If you move address your postal vote will be automatically cancelled. If you wish to continue to vote by post you will need to make a fresh application from your new address. 

Receiving and using your Postal Vote for an election 

You will receive your postal vote papers approximately 10 days before the date of the election. You need to complete this and send it back as soon as possible. If you still have not received the papers four days before the election please Electoral Services who may be able to sort out a replacement set of papers. Postal votes can be handed in at a polling station in your area on election day. Postal votes arriving after the close of polling are not valid and will not be counted.

If you have a postal vote and live abroad there may be delays in getting the papers to you due to postal times for which we cannot be held responsible for. This may mean that your vote may not be received in time to be counted.  If you think that this may be the case, it might be worth applying for a proxy to vote on your behalf.  

If you will have difficulty completing an online application, you can download an application form.  Once completed this should be submitted to the Electoral Services department.  They will submit your application online for you. Postal vote application forms are available on the Electoral Commission (external link) website.