Parentage disagreements

Correct a birth registration 

You can apply for a birth registration correction when the information is wrong, for example if a mistake was made when recording a parent’s occupation. 

You cannot apply for a correction to show new information if circumstances change after you have registered your child’s birth, for example if you change your name after getting married again. 

However, you can apply to re-register the birth if the natural parents get married at a later date. 

Removing the wrong father’s details 

You can apply to change who the recorded father is if you can prove that the man named on the certificate is not the natural father of the child. Examples of proof include: 

  • a DNA test record from an approved tester 
  • a court order 
  • evidence that confirms the name of the true biological father 
  • other evidence that confirms the recorded father could not have been the child’s natural father 

What happens if you change gender 

If you get your gender change legally recognised (external link), you will be able to order a new birth certificate (external link) with your new gender on it. 

What the correction looks like 

If your application is approved, a correction is made in the register in the office for the area where your child was born. 

The original information will always be shown in the register. After the correction has been authorised, a note will be added to the margin of the register. This will explain what the correct information is and when the correction was made. 

All full birth certificates that are issued after the correction will include the note in the margin. 

Short birth certificates only include the child’s details and will not have a note in the margin, they just show any correct new details.​​​​​​