- Hygiene Waste that can be collected via your normal rubbish collections. As it is non-infectious it can be placed in your black bags.
- Clinical Waste that needs to be collected and disposed of separately via our clinical collection service. This waste which poses a threat of infection to humans. This will be collected in clinical waste yellow sacks, free of charge on a weekly basis (where required). Please complete the application form below.
- If you self medicate, using clinical sharps and require your sharps bins to be disposed of, you will need to take them to your local participating pharmacy or GP Surgery (See list below). If you are unable to access a participating pharmacy owing to disability or other medical condition and a friend, relative or care is unable to help,the Council will arrange a household collection. However, you must supply us with confirmation from your GP this is the case.
Hygiene Waste that can be collected via your normal rubbish collection:
- Catheter and stoma bags (drained)
- Wound dressings (non-infectious)
- Soiled bedding (vomit, human waste)
- Nasal and respiratory secretions
- Sanitary waste
- Incontinence pads
Clincal Waste Collection Information
Clinical Waste Collections
East Cambridgeshire District Council is moving on to a pharmacy collection for all clinical sharps produced by residents in their own home.New disposal points are being set up in GP surgeries and pharmacies across the District for people that need to dispose of sharps (used needles).
For everyone (that is able), we are asking sharps users to dispose of their sharps at any of the designated locations listed below:
- Bottisham Pharmacy, 8 High Street, Bottisham, CB25 9DQ
- Burwell Surgery, Newmarket Road, Burwell, CB25 0AE
- Boots Pharmacy, 6 Market Street, Ely, CB7 4PB
- St Mary's Street Pharmacy, 50 St Mary's Street, Ely, CB7 4EY
- Haddenham Pharmacy, Station Road, Haddenham, CB6 3XD
- Wellbeing Pharmacy, 2 Parsons Lane, Littleport, CB6 1JU
- Staploe Pharmacy, Brewhouse Lane, Soham, CB7 5JD
- Priors Field Surgery, 24 High Street, Sutton, CB6 2RB
- Sutton Pharmacy, 29 High Street, Sutton, CB6 2RB
There is no charge for this service and you will be able to collect your new sharps boxes in your usual way.
If you are housebound and unable to visit any of the locations due to disability, medical reason and a family member, friend or carer is unable to help, please be assured that we will collect your used sharps from your home on a quarterly basis. If this applies to you, please ask your GP to provide a letter confirming this and send it to us with an application form so that we can register you for a household collection.
The sack collection service for infectious clinical waste remains unchanged. If you require ths service, please use the form below.
How to apply