Complain about a judge

You can complain if you are unhappy with a judge, magistrate, tribunal member or coroner’s:  

  • behaviour 
  • language 
  • conduct  

You must make your complaint within three months. 

You cannot use the complaints process to challenge a decision or sentence. You should get legal advice (external link) about how to appeal. 

How to complain 

There is a different process for tribunals, magistrates’ courts and judges sitting in other courts. 


Contact the Tribunal President (external link) for the tribunal you went to, for example the employment tribunal or immigration tribunal. 

Magistrates’ court 

Contact the advisory committee (external link) for the area your court is in. You can ask a member of staff at court if you are not sure which advisory committee to contact.  

Judges sitting in other courts 

This includes:  

  • Crown Court Judges 
  • Coroners 
  • District Judges 

You can complain online on the Judicial Conduct Investigations Office (JCIO) website (external link) 

If you are not satisfied with how your complaint was dealt with

Contact the Judicial Appointments and Conduct Ombudsman (JACO) if you are unhappy with the way your complaint was handled.  

You must contact JACO within 28 days of being notified that your complaint has been dealt with and closed.  

Download and fill in a judicial conduct complaint form (external link)

Send the form by email or post.  

Judicial Appointments and Conduct Ombudsman  


Telephone: 020 3334 2900 

Judicial Appointments and Conduct Ombudsman 

Postal Area 1.55 
1st Floor 
The Tower 
102 Petty France 
London SW1H 9AJ