Make a Court Claim for Money

How to Make a Claim

You can apply to a county court to claim money you are owed by a person or business.
This is known as making a court claim. It often used to be known as taking someone to a ‘small claims court’.
A mediation service could be quicker and cheaper than going to court. Mediation is when an impartial person helps both sides work out an agreement.

Make a Claim

Make your claim online if you are claiming for a fixed (‘specified’) amount of money.
Download and fill in a paper claim form N1 if you are claiming for an unspecified amount of money.
You can also use the paper claim form to claim for a fixed amount.
Send the paper form to the County Court Money Claims Centre.
County Court Money Claims Centre
PO Box 527
M5 0BY
You must pay a court fee when you make a claim.

What Happens Next

You might have to go to a court hearing if the other person or business (the ‘defendant’) denies owing the money and you disagree with their response.
You can get the court to order them to pay if they:
  • do not respond to your claim
  • admit they owe you but do not pay
If they still do not pay, you can ask the court to take further steps to collect the money - for example, by using bailiffs.

See Also:

For further information: