What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a new single payment for working age people who are on a low income regardless of whether they are in work, looking for work, too ill to work or caring for someone.

From the 12th September 2018 full service will be rolled out in the Ely and Wisbech Job Centres and applies to the following postcodes in our area:
  • CB61, CB6 2, CB6 3, CB7 4, CB7 5, CB7 9 & PE14 9
Huntingdon  & Cambridgeshire Job Centres follow on 17th October 2018 and applies to postcodes:
  • PE28 3 , CB25 9
Then Newmarket and Mildenhall Job Centres on 12th December 2018 for postcodes beginning with:
  • CB 25 0, CB8 0, CB8 1, CB8 7, CB8 8, CB8 9 & IP28 8 
Universal Credit is paid monthly in arrears and replaces:
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
If you are of Pension age, you will not be affected by Universal Credit and should still claim Housing Benefit.
If you pay Council Tax and want to claim help with this you should make a claim with the Council.
Universal Credit affects new claimants only.  If you already claim benefits you will remain on the previous system for now unless your circumstances change.