Permit to Join Family Members in UK

Apply for a permit to join your EU or EEA family member in the UK

You may be able to get a family permit to come to the UK if both of the following apply:
You must be outside the UK to apply for a family permit.
There will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens currently living in the UK until 30 June 2021. You and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK.
There are 2 different family permits:
  • the EU Settlement Scheme family permit
  • the EEA family permit
The one you should apply for depends on your circumstances.

EU Settlement Scheme family permit

Apply for the EU Settlement Scheme family permit if you are the close family member of an EEA or Swiss national and they have ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled’ status under the EU Settlement Scheme.
You must be a ‘close’ family member, such as a spouse, civil partner, dependent child or dependent parent.

EEA family permit

Apply for the EEA Family Permit if you are a close or extended family member of an EEA or Swiss national.
You can be a close or ‘extended’ family member - for example a brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, nephew or niece.
There are other ways you may be eligible for an EEA family permit, for example:
  • with a ‘derivative right of residence’ - you’re the carer of someone who has the right to be in the UK, the carer’s child, or the child of an EEA national who previously worked in the UK
  • if you can make a ‘Surinder Singh’ application after living in another EEA country with a British family member
  • with a ‘retained right of residence’ - you have the right to stay in the UK as the family member of an EEA national who has died, left the UK or is no longer your spouse or civil partner


Both family permits are free.

What they do

Both family permits make it easier and quicker to enter the UK. You might not get a boarding pass and could experience major delays without one.
You may be refused entry into the UK if you do not have an EU Settlement Scheme or EEA family permit.

When you arrive in the UK

You should see a border control officer instead of using the automatic ePassport gates. The officer will check your permit.

How long you can stay

Both family permits are valid for 6 months. You can leave and enter the UK as many times as you need within that time.

See also:

For further information: