Marriage Visitor Visa
You must apply for a Marriage Visitor visa if:
- you want to get married or register a civil partnership in the UK
- you want to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership in UK
- you are not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
You do not need a Marriage Visitor visa to convert your civil partnership into a marriage - you can apply for a Standard Visitor visa.
You cannot apply if you qualify for British citizenship - including if you can have dual nationality. You must apply for British citizenship instead.
How long it takes to get a visa
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.
You can apply from 16 March if you plan to travel on 15 June.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.
It costs £95 to apply.
How long you can stay
You can use this visa to visit the UK for up to 6 months.
What you can and cannot do
- Marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival - you must use a venue licensed for this purpose
- pass through the UK in transit (on your way to another country)
- get public funds
- bring in family members (‘dependants’) - they must apply separately
- live in the UK for extended periods through frequent visits
- extend your visa or switch to another visa
- work - except for permitted activities related to your work or business overseas, such as attending meetings
- study for more than 30 days - studying cannot be the main reason for your visit
For Further Information: