Sportsperson Visa (Tier 2)
You can apply for a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa if all of the following apply:
- you are an elite sportsperson or qualified coach, who is recognised by your sport’s governing body as being at the highest level of your profession internationally
- your sport’s governing body is endorsing your application
- your employment will develop your sport in the UK at the highest level
- you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
Your sponsor is the governing body endorsing your application. They will assign you a certificate of sponsorship to prove they are sponsoring you.
How long it will take
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the day you are due to start work in the UK. This date is listed on your certificate of sponsorship.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.
How much you pay for a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa depends on where you are.
Who you are applying for - You
Apply (outside the UK) - £610
Extend or switch (in the UK) - £704
Who you are applying for - You - as a national of Turkey or Macedonia
Apply (outside the UK) - £555
Extend or switch (in the UK) - £649
Who you are applying for -All dependants
Apply (outside the UK) - £610 each person
Extend or switch (in the UK) - £704 each person
You will also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you will have to pay before you apply.
If you are applying to extend or switch in the UK
You will need to pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken.
Get a faster decision on your application
If you are applying to extend or switch in the UK you can pay an extra £500 for the priority service to get a decision within 5 working days.
You can pay an extra £800 for the super priority service to get a decision:
- by the end of the next working day after providing your biometric information if your appointment is on a weekday
- 2 working days after providing your biometric information if your appointment is at the weekend
Working days are Monday to Friday, not including bank holidays.
Once you have got your decision letter, your biometric residence permit will take up to 10 working days to arrive.
How long you can stay
You can come to the UK with a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa for up to 3 years.
You can apply to extend this visa for up to another 3 years to a maximum stay of 6 years.
What you can and cannot do
- work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
- do a second job in certain circumstances
- play for your national team in the UK
- work as a sports broadcaster
- do voluntary work
- study as long as it does not interfere with the job you are sponsored for
- travel abroad and return to the UK
- bring family members with you
- get public funds
- start or run a business
- apply for a second job until you have started working for your sponsor
For Further Information: