If you Cannot Pay your Tax Bill on Time

What To Do

Contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) as soon as possible if you have missed your payment. How you contact HMRC depends on what you need to pay.
You have to pay interest if you pay late. You may avoid penalties by contacting HMRC as soon as possible.

If you Cannot Pay your Self Assessment Tax Bill

If you’ve filed your return and owe less than £10,000 you might be able to arrange to pay in instalments online.
You do not need to contact HMRC if you have set up a payment plan online.
Call the Self Assessment helpline if you’ve missed your payment date or you cannot use the online service.

Self Assessment Payment Helpline

  • Telephone: 0300 200 3822, Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm, Saturday, 8am to 4pm

If you Cannot Pay Other Taxes

If you’ve received a payment demand, like a tax bill or a letter threatening you with legal action, call the HMRC office that sent you the letter.
Call the Payment Support Service if you have not received a bill or letter.
Payment Support Service
  • Telephone: 0300 200 3835, Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm, Saturday, 8am to 4pm
Nominated partners in business partnerships can negotiate time to pay with HMRC on behalf of the partnership or individual partners.
See also:
For further information: