Report a Change

Benefits: report a change in your circumstances 

You need to report changes to your circumstances so you keep getting the right amount of benefits.

Your claim might be stopped or reduced if you do not report a change straight away or you give incorrect information.

If you do not report a change or a mistake, you might be paid too much. If you are, you might have to pay some of the money back (external link).  You might also have to pay a £50 penalty.

If you deliberately do not report changes, you’re committing benefit fraud (external link).

Changes you need to report  

Changes can include:

  • changing your name or gender 

  • finding or finishing a job, or working different hours 

  • your income going up or down 

  • starting or stopping education, training or an apprenticeship 

  • moving house 

  • people moving into or out of the place you live (for example your partner, a child or lodger) 

  • the death of your partner or someone you live with 

  • having a baby 

  • starting or stopping caring for someone 

  • getting married or divorced 

  • starting or ending a civil partnership 

  • planning to go abroad for any length of time 

  • going into hospital, a care home or sheltered accommodation 

  • any changes to your medical condition or disability 

  • changing your doctor 

  • changes to your pension, savings, investments or property 

  • changes to other money you get (for example student loans or grants, sick pay or money you get from a charity) 

  • changes to the benefits you or anyone else in your house gets 

  • you or your partner getting back-pay (sometimes called ‘arrears’) for salary or earnings you’re owed 

If you claim Child Benefit you also need to report changes to your child’s circumstances (external link).

Reporting a death  

Use the ‘Tell Us Once (external link)’ Service if someone dies when they’re receiving benefits. The process is different if you’re in Northern Ireland (external link)

How to report changes  

Who you tell depends on which benefits you get. You’ll need to report your change to more than one organisation if you get more than one benefit. 

Universal Credit  

Report changes using your Universal Credit online account (external link) if you have one or contact the Universal Credit helpline (external link).  

Pension Credit 

Call the Pension Service helpline (external link) or report changes by post.

Disability benefits  

Call the Disability Service Centre (external link) to report changes if you get Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

Housing Benefit  

Tell your local council (external link) about changes if you get Housing Benefit.  

Child Benefit  

Report changes using the Child Benefit online service (external link) or call or write to the Child Benefit Office (external link).

All other benefits  

Call Jobcentre Plus (external link) to report changes. You need to have your National Insurance number when you call.