What to do if you think you have been burgled 

If you believe the intruders could still be inside your property, call 999. 

If you return home to find that a burglary has taken place, you should report this to the Police online, or call 101. The Police will attend your address as soon as possible to: 

  • Take details, including details of any missing items; 
  • Assess the scene for forensic opportunities; 
  • Offer you support services; 
  • Give advice about things you could do to make your home more secure, especially if there has been damage to windows or doors where they have gained entry 

A crime report will be created and an Investigating Officer will be appointed to your case. You will be given a crime reference number. 

Investigating a burglary 

The investigation will follow up on any lines of enquiry in an effort to identify the offender(s) and bring them to justice. Your neighbours may be contacted to check for witnesses of the offence, or sightings of any suspicious behaviour in the area. The Police may also give home security advice to your neighbours. 

The Police aim to provide you with regular updates, in line with the Victim's Code. You should receive updates when there are any new developments or information about your case, or when a suspect is arrested or charged.  

Please remember that with any investigation, it can take time to gather information.