The District Council is responsible for
- Assigning official street names to new and existing streets
- Assigning official property numbers to all new and existing properties
- Changes to and allocation of property names
- Re-naming of streets and renumbering of properties
- The erection, replacement and maintenance of street nameplates.
- Ensuring that the Royal Mail are notified of new or amended property addresses to enable them to assign Post Codes
- Ensuring that the Emergency and Essential Services are notified of all new properties and streets.
The property owner is responsible for
- Clearly displaying their property number
- Using the correct official address, including property number (if allocated).
There is a charge for the non-statutory provision of the Street Naming and Numbering service.
If you are building a new property or properties or replacing or redeveloping an existing property into multiple dwellings, you should contact the council as soon as possible to arrange for the allocation of addresses.
If you are developing a new street or estate, you should contact the council to arrange the numbering of properties and naming of streets as soon as you are ready to begin working on the site as the naming of streets can be a lengthy process.
You are allowed to name your property, however, if your property has an official number this can only be used in conjunction with the number and not replace it. When choosing a property name, the name should not be the same as, or similar to, another house name in the area.
Property owners wishing to add, amend or remove a property name will need to complete an application form and pay the set fee, which is currently £50.00. We will let you know in writing if there is a problem with your application or let you know the date that you can start using the new name from.
To request a street nameplate, or report a missing or damaged street nameplate contact the Street Naming and Numbering Team on 01353 665555, email firstname.lastname@example.org or by complete one of the online report forms below:
East Cambridgeshire District Council is not responsible for issuing new postcodes. Please contact Royal Mail with any postcode queries prior to contacting the Street Naming & Numbering team.
For all queries regarding postcodes contact Royal Mail via their postcode enquiry line 08457 111 222 or by visiting their website:
If you have delivery problems telephone the Royal Mail's Customer Service Centre - 0845 7740 740
You can contact the Street Naming and Numbering team at East Cambridgeshire District Council by:
- Telephone 01353 665555
- Email: email@example.com
- Post: Please mark for the attention of the Street Naming and Numbering Team, East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, Cambs. CB7 5ZB.