Street Collection Licence

Street Collection Licensing Policy

East Cambridgeshire District Council, as the Licensing Authority, is empowered under Section 5 of the Police, Factories, Etc (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916, as amended by the Local Government Act 1972, to licence collections made in ‘any street or public place’ for ‘charitable or other purposes’.

Although there is no legal requirement for the Council to adopt a policy on how it proposes to licence charitable collections in the East Cambridgeshire district, Members of the Council’s Licensing Committee consider it best practice to adopt such a policy to ensure consistency and transparency in the way the Council carries out its licensing functions in relation to street collections.

On  14 November 2012 the Licensing Committee approved the Street Collection Licensing Policy following consultation with relevant stakeholders and members of the general public 25 June 2012 to 21 September 2012.

To collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes in England or Wales, you require a street collection licence.

There is no fee payable for a street collection licence.

Street Collection Permit - Download Application Form

When the collection has ended you will need to complete a 'Form of Statement relating to Street Collections':

Form of Statement relating to Street Collection - Download Form

Charitable market stall

It may be possible to obtain permission to use a market stall for charitable collection activities. For more information, and to obtain the necessary permission, please email:

Fines & Penalties

You could be fined £200 if you collect money for charity without a licence.


It is in the public interest that East Cambridgeshire District Council must process your application before it can be authorised. If you have not received a response to your application within a reasonable period, please contact us.

The Licensing Department, East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4EE
Tel: 01353 665555

If you are an applicant or a third party, you should always contact us in the first instance if you have any queries, concerns or cause for complaint preferably in the form of a letter with proof of delivery.    If you are not satisfied with the outcome and are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Consumer Service will give you advice.  If you are from outside the UK, please contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Trade Associations

There are no trade associations associated with a street collection licence.