Relationship Breakdown

Relationship breakdown? Get advice before you give up your home.

This guide is not comprehensive, as real-life cases are vary variable. You should always get advice from a solicitor, law centre or housing advice office.

Your right to your home will depend on whether you are an owner or a tenant, whether your are married or cohabiting and whether you have dependant children.

Always get advice before you leave your home. If you leave voluntarily you may be giving up your legal rights. If you have voluntarily given up your home the Council may decide you are intentionally homeless. There will then be no duty to find you a new home.

Please see our frequently asked questions for more help and advice alternatively you can download the information here.