Winter Energy Payments

Warm Home Discount Scheme

The Warm Home Discount Scheme usually opens for applications between August to March and awards qualifying customers a rebate of around £140 on their winter electricity costs.

Some people will automatically qualify for the Warm Home Discount. If you fall into this group, you will receive a letter direct from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

If you do not receive a letter from DWP, you may be eligible to apply for the Broader Group. Suppliers must also provide an annual rebate to a wider group of households who are fuel-poor or at risk of fuel poverty.

Each supplier has its own set of qualifying conditions. Contact your supplier to see if you are eligible.

To find out more about the scheme visit the GOV.UK website:

Winter Fuel Payment

The Winter Fuel Payment is an annual one-off payment to help you pay for heating during the winter. Anyone born on or before 5 January 1953 can get it, if you live in the UK or another eligible country.

To find out more about the payment visit the GOV.UK website:

Priority Services Register for older and disabled people

If you sign up to your supplier’s Priority Services Register (PSR), you can get extra help and support with your energy supply. The benefit of being on the register varies between energy suppliers but users may be offered free gas safety checks, free meter readings, the option to nominate somebody else to be sent a copy of the bill (a carer for example) and advanced notice if any energy supply has to be interrupted.

To be added to the resister please call your gas AND energy suppliers.

Cold Weather Payments

The Cold Weather Payment is a government grant given to certain qualifying households made when the temperature drops below zero degrees Celsius for one consecutive week. You’ll only be eligible if you already get:

  • Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit

If you qualify for a Cold Weather Payment, you will automatically be sent the money. You do not need to make a claim.

To find out more about  these payments visit the GOV.UK website: