You might be overpaid tax credits if:
- there is a change in your circumstances - even if you report the change on time
- you or the Tax Credit Office make a mistake
- you do not renew your tax credits on time
The Tax Credit Office will write to tell you what you owe and how to repay the money. If you think they made a mistake, call the helpline.
If you still get tax credits or are now getting Universal Credit, the money you owe will usually be taken from your future payments.
If you no longer get tax credits and you do not get Universal Credit, you’ll have to pay HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) directly. The money may be recovered from you in another way if you do not repay HMRC in time.
- How to repay your tax credits
- If you cannot afford your repayments
- If you get Universal Credit
- If you do not repay HMRC