Host an Event

You can submit the details of your street party, Big Lunch, Big Help Out plans and other Coronation activities to the Coronation Interactive map so others in your local community can find out about events and activities near them and get involved.

If you would like to organise a street party as part of your Coronation weekend celebrations or The Big lunch there is guidance available on Gov.UK

If you are planning a street party or any other event on the public highway you will need to notify Cambridgeshire County Council and, where applicable, apply for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order to close a road.

If food will be available at your event, the Food Standards Agency has provided guidance on food safety considerations you should bear in mind. 

When organising an event, you may want to consider the following points:  

  • Event planning: consider who is organising the event, identify key responsibilities and whether the relevant agencies, like Fire and Rescue or Environmental Health need to be consulted
  • Event location: many locations require permission to use, so make sure you contact the land or property owner if necessary. Will you require a road closure? Cambridgeshire County Council has more detail. You may need to apply for a licence for entertainment, the sale of alcohol or loud music. Visit Licences, Permits and Registration for more information
  • Risk assessment: if you are planning an event you need to consider any possible risks and the arrangements you need to have in place, such as first aid, lost children points, or any equipment being used
  • Fire safety: consider any safety risks such as BBQs, lighting of beacons and fireworks and the fire hazards
  • Temporary structures: such as seating and marquees will require arrangements to ensure they are used safely, the HSE website has useful guidance 
  • Alcohol: if you are intending to sell alcohol at your event you will need to notify us and the police and apply for a temporary licence
  • Serving food: A one-off street party, or small community event where food is sold or given away is not likely to require formal registration, but organisers will need to ensure basic food hygiene is in place. Before serving any food, strong consideration should be given to attendees with food allergies or  intolerances - ensure ingredients are clearly marked, so that people are fully aware 
  • Insurance: make sure you have appropriate insurance in place for your event  

To see what activities are happening near you, or further afield, visit the Interactive map.

Local events 

Saturday 29 April 2023 

Ely's Eel day - 2023 Coronation style - the Eel Parade will begin from 10:30 am at Cross Green before making its way down to the riverside. The festival is held at Jubilee Gardens from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Saturday 30 April and Monday 1 May 2023  

Ely's Coronation Food, Drink and Craft Festival, Palace Green, 10:30 am to 5:30 pm.

Saturday 6 May 

You can watch the ceremony in Ely Cathedral live in the nave, as it is broadcast from Westminster Abbey. Entry to the Cathedral on Saturday will be free. 

A grant from the Government's Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), was awarded to Ely Cathedral for the screening of the Coronation. 

Visit Ely and the City of Ely Council will host a lighting of the Beacon in celebration of the Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III.

The Event will open at 7pm and the Beacon will be lit at 8:30pm, St Mary's Green, Ely.

Sunday 7 May  

Ely Cathedral will be holding a special service at 4:30pm to celebrate the Coronation of His Majesty The King and Her Majesty The Queen Consort.

Soham Coronation Big Lunch, 12:30 pm to 10:30 pm at Soham Recreation Ground. 

Wentworth village fete from 1:00pm at Wentworth play park. 

To add your local community celebrations and events to our East Cambridgeshire celebrations list, please email details to 

Please provide: The location, the date, the time, what you are going to celebrate, for example a street party or The Big Lunch, and contact information, such as an email or website where residents can find more information.