Complain about a school

Types of complaints

There are different ways to complain in England depending on whether your child:
Schools may not consider complaints about behaviour that happens outside the school’s hours or premises.

Other types of complaint

For some types of complaint you need to contact a different agency.
Complaint: - Child Protection
Who to contact: - Local council
Complaint: - Criminal behaviour
Who to contact: - Police
Complaint: - Data protection
Who to contact: - Information Commissioner’s Office
Complaint: - Discrimination
Who to contact: - Equality Advisory and Support Service
Complaint: - Employment
Who to contact: - An employment tribunal
Complaint: - Exam malpractice or maladministration
Who to contact: - Ofqual and the awarding body

Legal advice

You can get free legal advice about schooling and education from Child Law Advice.

See also:


For further information: