The primary areas of responsibility for the District Council are:
- To support the emergency services and those engaged in the response to an incident;
- To provide suitable (temporary) accommodation at Rest Centres for those evacuated or otherwise displaced from their homes including the documentation of those displaced;
- To provide support at a location used to care for and provide support to those involved in or surviving an incident, known as a Survivor Reception Centre;
- To provide facilities and location(s) for relatives and friends of those involved in an incident to enable information, support and reuniting, known as a Friends and Relatives Centre;
- To activate the voluntary agencies;
- The provision of a wide range of support services; and
- To lead the recovery and return to normality, whilst at the same time maintaining services at the appropriate level.